American roulette is one of the variations of the roulette game that is popular in the United States. This roulette version has distinct markers that differentiate the game from other variations. The American roulette wheel and table have a total of 38 pockets and numbers, compared to European and French roulette that has 37.
The addition of the double zero (00) pocket means that the American roulette payouts and odds are different. That is why you need to use a roulette strategy that works to win. Go through our guide to find out how to play American Roulette online. We have shortlisted the best online casinos with roulette games for real money that you can try out below.
Best America Roulette Online Casino Sites
How to Play American Roulette
Before you start your journey playing American roulette for real money, you need to understand the wheel and table layout to influence your gameplay and bets.
- There are 18 numbers on the table layout coloured in red as well as 18 numbers coloured in black. The American roulette wheel pockets are also coloured in a corresponding fashion.
- The coloured numbers start from 1 – 36.
- There are two numbers coloured green, the single zero (0) and the double zero (00). The additional double zero increases the house edge to 5.26%.
Once you have a firm grasp on how the table and wheel look, you can go on to placing your bet. The payout odds for each roulette bet differ. You can choose to place a straight-up bet or a combination of bets.
You will then select the spin button so that the ball can drop automatically and the wheel can start rotating. When playing at a land-based casino, the croupier will be the one to drop the ball as well as tell players to stop placing bets. If you play online, the random number generator performs this function.
If the section you covered or the number you have chosen appears, your casino account will be credited accordingly.
Types of American Roulette Bets and Odds
It is impossible to use an American roulette strategy without first understanding the bets available to you. Go through the list of roulette bets as well as their individual payout odds to make an informed choice when you play for real money:
- Straight Bet – placing a wager inside a single numbered box. The payout is 35 to 1.
- Split Bet – placing a wager in the middle of two numbers to signify that you bet on both numbers. The payout is 17 to 1.
- Corner Bet – a bet on four numbers, placed on the corner box where they all intersect. The payout is 8 to 1.
- Street Bet – a bet on three numbers in different columns. The bet pays out 11 to 1.
- Basket Bet – it covers the first four numbers, 1, 2, 3, and zero. The payout is 6 to 1
- Column Bet – place a wager on the entire column that has 12 numbers. The payout is 2 to 1.
- Line Bet – a wager that covers two rows and a total of six numbers. The payout is 5 to 1.
- Dozen Bet – a wager on 12 numbers, either on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd It pays out 2 to 1.
- Red or Black Bet – the wager on all red coloured or black coloured bets on the table. It pays out 1 to 1.
- Even or Odd Bet – the bet covers all even or odd numbers on the table. It pays out 1 to 1.
- Low Number Bet – this bet covers numbers from 1 to 18. It pays out 1 to 1.
- High Number Bet – the wager covers numbers starting from 19 to 36. It pays out 1 to 1.
American Roulette Rules
Now that you know how to play American roulette, you need to familiarize yourself with the rules of the game. Playing American roulette online is somewhat different from playing against a live croupier. At a land-based casino, players have to place their own bets, and the croupier will tell players when to stop.
On the online roulette game, players can take their time to place their bets, with no rush before the ball stops spinning. What you need to remember is that the roulette ball will be dropped onto a rotating wheel with pockets that it can rest in. Players will have to guess where the ball will land in order to win.
There will be a minimum and a maximum stake, depending on where you place your bet. Outside bets generally require more money than inside bets. As stated above, an American roulette wheel has 38 slots. Therefore, players should stick to outside bets to win more often.
How To Win American Roulette
In American roulette, the wheel has 38 numbers which impact the overall house edge in the game. You will need to use a basic strategy that can improve your odds of winning. Since roulette is a game of luck, you can use some of the tips and tricks that have worked for our experts to ensure that you don’t walk away empty-handed.
- Stay away from straight numbers – the amount of cash outlay you use to bet straight numbers has a much higher risk of loss than with outside bets. You can reduce the house edge by betting on even/odd, black/red bets to improve the probability of winning.
- Figure out a pattern – gambling games always develop a pattern that you can follow. Some streaks involve a couple of spins on one section like the neighbours or cold numbers being a section like orphans.
- Play free online American roulette simulator for practice – it is recommended that players test out their strategies playing roulette for fun. There are plenty of casino sites that offer free games so that you can improve your gameplay.
- Study a winning strategy – there are strategies designed for roulette players to improve the probability of winning. Try out the D’Alembert strategy; Martingale, Fibonacci and many other gaming tricks can help you win every time.
Difference Between European And American Roulette
Depending on which part of the world you are in, there is always a popularity contest between American roulette vs European roulette. The games both have their strong suits. Here’s how you can separate the two and determine which game you prefer:
- The American roulette wheel has 38 numbered pockets. The numbers start from 1 to 36 and are coloured either black or red. Also, there are two additional pockets coloured in green for a single zero (0) and a double zero (00).
- Conversely, in European Roulette, there are 37 pockets also numbered from 1 – 36 with either red or black coloured boxes. However, there is only one green pocket for zero.
- The additional number is reflected on the roulette wheel and table. It affects the house advantage in the game. For European roulette, the house edge is 2.7%, while on the American version of the game, it is 5.36%.
More Roulette Guides: